If you've been following the HTML5 Boilerplate project you already know how great it is. If not, all you need is the short description to get you excited:
HTML5 Boilerplate is the professional badass's base HTML/CSS/JS template for a fast, robust and future-proof site.
I've been watching it since launch and decided it would be great to incorporate it into a WordPress template---so you're looking at it.
This isn't a full-of-bells-and-whistles-does-everything-for-you-no-work-involved-ready-to-go type thing. It's a starting point, just like HTML5 Boilerplate. It is far from complete. Take it, remix it, destroy it, do with it what you want. Just have a bit of fun while you're creating your own and learning some great HTML5 tips and tricks.
To get started grab my theme from GitHub (or if you want to give back then fork it) and go from there. I'm open to contributions and pull requests. All I ask is that you change up the CSS so that my design isn't plastered as-is everywhere. If you can, it would be extra awesome to keep my credits in the source. I'll get a kick out of a viewsource with my name in it.
I'm currently reading Introducing HTML5 by Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp. It has a number of great examples directly related to further improvements I could make in this template. I'll keep updating the theme regularly, adding and removing features as I see fit so follow me on Github or on Twitter if you're interested.
As well, I use a few plugins to enhance this theme that you may also find useful:
- Typekit Fonts for WordPress lets you embed Typekit fonts into you theme. You'll notice my default theme uses numeric font-weight properties such as 300. These match the appropriate weights in my embedded Typekit fonts.
- Art Direction gives you per post styles for new age art direction.
- Google Analytics enables Google Analytics on all pages.
- Google XML Sitemaps generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog.
- Head META Description adds a META description tag: excerpt/content brief for post/Page, description for category, and blog tagline for everything else.
- PHP Markdown Extra add the Markdown syntax allowing you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format. Based on the original Perl version by John Gruber.
Enjoy!The post HTML5 Boilerplate WordPress Theme appeared first on JeffreySambells.com